Song Information Edit
- Writer(s): Buddy Kaye; Ben Weisman
- Publisher(s): Gladys Music
- Recording Date(s): February 17, 1966
- Recording Location(s): United Artist Recorders. Hollywood, California
- Catalog No(s): XPA1 3978
- Take No(s): 2005-31
- Master Take(s): 31
- Released on Let's Be Friends (album) in 1970
Production Notes Edit
Strings were overdubbed on the master
- "Almost" was written by Buddy Kaye and Ben Wiesmman and sung by Elvis in 1969 film The Trouble With Girls. He recorded the song October 1968, at United Recorders in Hollywood. The film version of "Almost" has overdubbed strings. Take #31 was chosen for release.
(Resource: Elvis His Life A to Z, by Worth, Fred L. and Steve D. Tamerius © 1990 Wings Book)
We almost shared a dream
We almost made it as a team
How nice it would have been.
We almost touched the stars
And there stood heaven, almost ours
We were just outsiders looking in.
We had the chance to fall
But fate stepped in to end it all
Before it could begin.
And if it's true, you're really going
There's nothing but goodbye to say
The saddest part of all is knowing
We almost went all the way